The 18th century home known as Dorsey Hall is the origin of the name of the Dorsey Hall neighborhood in the village of Dorsey’s Search. It preserves the name of the prominent Howard County Dorsey family in the new town of Columbia.
Built on land granted to the Honorable John Dorsey in 1695, the house remained in the Dorsey family until the 20th century. In the late 1960s, The Rouse Company purchased the house as part of the larger tract that became the neighborhood. The Rouse Company did some renovation work, but for many years it was vacant.
Developers Richard Talkin and Donald Reuwer purchased the house in 2000 and restored it, incorporating it into the development of a small office complex. Dorsey Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Homes in 2001.