Columbia Trivia + Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt
Don’t know about you, but we still love a good scavenger hunt and Columbia trivia! And boy, did CA’s Community Planning Department deliver on both.
First, some history.
You and your family might know that Columbia is a planned community. Founder (and legendary developer) James Rouse envisioned “a garden for growing people” when he made this city.
His goals were to:
- Build a complete city
- Respect the land
- Provide for the growth of people
- Make a profit.
Those objectives were at the center of all of his plans, including the villages, village centers, the mall.
Second, let’s talk about this awesome scavenger hunt.
Here are some of our favorite scavenger hunt “clues”:
- Listen to the sounds of your community and make a list of the loudest and quietest things in your town.
- Interview someone that has just moved to town or a member of your community (from a distance, of course). Find out what they like the most.
- Visit the local bakery or donut shop (wearing your mask!) and get a bag or napkin that shows you stopped in for a treat.
- Draw pictures of four different animals you have seen from the windows of your home.
You can check out or print out the entire American Planning Association’s Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt, go to the CA at home page, scroll all the way to the bottom, click “For All Ages” and click on the link! You may find something else on that page you want to try out with the family.
You can also download a PDF version here: American Planning Association’s Neighborhood Scavenger Hunt
Third, Columbia trivia time!
Here’s how to quiz yourselves on our city’s past, compliments of CA’s Community Planning Department.
For more tips, check out the CA Parents’ Corner blog.
To receive our FREE Guide To Distance Learning Success ebook, visit our School Age Services page.
“Great things are done by a series of small things brought together” – Vincent Van Gogh