Out In The Open (Space): Updates for Week of Dec. 14, 2020
December 13, 2020
It’s beginning to look a lot like winter projects.
We aren’t talking about wrapping presents, but…
Here’s what Open Space is working on this week:
- Neighbors are welcome to check out the progress on the stream restoration efforts continuing right now to reduce erosion and decrease sediment that flows into Lake Kittamaqundi. The bulk of the work this week will take place around Eliots Oak Road, Mystic Court and Fallriver Row Court. This $2.2 million project is being paid for by the state. Pretty awesome! Check out this post for more details on that stream restoration work.
- Capital Improvement Projects (CIP) will be replacing bridge ORBR-07 off of Red Branch Rd in Oakland Ridge Industrial Park. Weather permitting, you’ll see the current bridge removed and a new one installed. A section of Pathway around the bridge will be closed while the work is going on, but the team expects pedestrian access to be back open in a week or so. Crews will return within a few weeks to pave the bridge and put the finishing touches on the project.
- ORBR-01 bridge off of Rumsey Road is still in the process of being removed and replaced.
- A contractor will be on site at tot lot RH-17 near Sunlit Water Way this week. You should expect to see removal of the play structure (which currently has some structural issues) and mulching in the area.
- We’re still working hard to upgrade tot lot LR-15 off Footed Ridge in Long Reach. You should expect to see a new swing frame, a new see saw and the return of spring animals soon.
- For anyone keeping track, about 16 tot lots were closed at the start of the pandemic. Even with furloughs and cut-backs, our Open Space team has been able to cut that in half. Thank you for your patience as this hard work continues! We know how important these resources are for you and your family.
- We had almost 100 people attend the virtual solar information session co-hosted by CA and Civic Works. Thank you to everyone who participated, and let us know how you’re putting your new knowledge to work.
- Tree removal continues in Long Reach, as about 80 trees get taken down over the next few weeks. This is happening in the areas from April Brook Circle to Summer Cloud and from Summer Cloud to Dry Stone Gate. The trees being taken down are either dead or dying due to the Emerald Ash Borer.
- Contractors will continue their three-week long project (weather-permitting) to refurbish Pathways in Oakland Mills. Signage is posted to detour pedestrians and help everyone avoid the areas while the work is going on. The affected Pathways are marked in red on the map below.
- Deicing and vehicle prep is well underway for the impending winter weather. Open Space crews will be ready to deploy and clear snow on CA property.
- Check out this time lapse video of the Pathway in Symphony Woods Park! Great work, team!