Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Curry Recipe
This month’s recipe is from Chef Akemi Parker, author of Superfoods: Powerful Foods that Beat Cancer and Chronic Illness. The recipe includes these wonderful, good-for-your-heart spices: curry, ginger, turmeric, and garlic.
Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Curry
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
- 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato (about 2 medium)
- 3½ cups water, divided
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free vegetable broth
- ¾ cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 4 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- Coat a large non-stick copper or cast-iron pan with oil (can use any high-heat oil such as avocado oil, olive oil, coconut oil. I used a black truffle and olive oil cooking spray for this recipe). Add the sweet potatoes and cook until slightly softened and caramelized (have a nice brown color on the potatoes), add chopped onion and garlic and sauté for about three minutes.
- Add the red curry paste, fresh ginger, garam masala and turmeric and tomato paste. Saute for another two minutes.
- Add 4 cups of vegetable or chicken stock, salt, pepper and dried red lentils; stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for one hour. Turn off heat; stir in coconut milk. Let stand, covered, for five minutes.
- Combine remaining ½ cup water, remaining two teaspoons sugar, and vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a slight boil. Add onion to vinegar mixture; let stand 20 minutes at room temperature. Drain.
- Place ½ cup of rice in each of eight shallow bowls. Top each serving with 1¼ cups lentil mixture, two tablespoons red onion mixture, and two tablespoons cilantro.