Out In The Open (Space): Updates for Week of Dec. 7, 2020
We’re getting closer and closer to closing out 2020, but our Open Space team is still hard at work!
Here are the Open Space updates for this week:
- Crews will replace ORBR-01 bridge off of Rumsey Road after that work was delayed last week. The section of Pathway connected to the bridge will also be closed while crews remove and replace it. Weather permitting, you’ll see a new bridge installed within a week.
- The Open Space team took advantage of some open time in a construction company’s schedule to get work done on tot lot LR-15 off Footed Ridge in Long Reach. You should expect to see a new swing frame, a new see saw and the return of spring animals by the end of the week.
- There are still spots available for the upcoming virtual solar information session. If you’d like to learn more about how solar power can help you reduce your carbon footprint and save you money, join CA and Civic Works on December 10. The interactive forum starts at 6:30pm. Click here to register at energyprograms.civicworks.com/RSVP-Columbia.
- You’ll still see some tree removal going on in Long Reach this week. In total, crews will remove about 80 trees over the next few weeks from April Brook Circle to Summer Cloud and from Summer Cloud to Dry Stone Gate. The trees being taken down are either dead or dying due to the Emerald Ash Borer.
- Contractors will continue their three-week long project (weather-permitting) to refurbish Pathways in Oakland Mills. Signage will detour pedestrians and help everyone avoid the areas while the work is going on.
- Thanks to everyone who’s already sent wildlife photos! We’re still collecting any animal shots you’ve taken throughout the community so we can feature them on CA’s social media. You can send them to Open.Space@columbiaassociation.org or tag @ColumbiaAssn on social media.
- We’re hearing again from CA Energy Manager Jeremy Scharfenberg. This time, he explains how UV light fans are keeping the air in our facilities clean. Click play and see for yourself.