Out In The Open (Space): Updates for Week of March 29, 2021
Temperatures are warming up, and our team is ready to take advantage. 🌞
Here’s what’s going on this week in Open Space:
- Weather permitting, a contractor will be out staining TCBR-06 boardwalk at the North Inlet of Lake Kittamaqundi this week. This project should be completed within five days. Signs will be posted on site to notify the public, and the boardwalk will remain open while the work is happening.
- Another tot lot is getting a spring upgrade! Crews will be installing a new metal play structure, see saw and spring animals at RH-17 (Sunlit Water Way). The metal play structure will replace the wooden play structure previously removed due to structural issues. This project is expected to be completed within seven days, weather permitting.
- CA has been reimbursed more than $44,000 through a grant from the State of Maryland for rain gardens built last fall in Long Reach and the installation of 2 bioretention facilities off Faulkner Ridge Circle in Wilde Lake. We’re always working hard to find funding for these essential projects, and we love to see that rewarded!
- Thanks to everyone who came out to Kings Contrivance over the weekend for the first Pull & Plant of the year. Another Pull & Plant event will be held in Hickory Ridge on Sunday, April 18. Space is limited in order to adhere to capacity and distancing guidelines.
- Work to achieve CA’s goal of planting 1,000 trees this year officially starts in Owen Brown on Saturday, April 10th. Neighbors of all ages and experience levels are welcome to come out from 10am to noon, but volunteers must register with their family of “bubble” to allow for social distancing. Click here to sign up and keep an eye out for more native tree planting events across the Columbia community. Contact your village and encourage them to participate.
- We can never have enough of your amazing #ColumbiaWildlife photos. Post your pictures with the hashtag #ColumbiaWildlife and CA may feature yours on our Facebook, Instagram and Twitter pages.